Stay Heart Healthy
Love your heart
Heart-healthy eating tips
Ever wondered some quick day-to-day eating tips you can take to be kind to your heart?
We have some great ones for you!
- Aim to have one serving of vegetables with each meal or snack
- Choose fruit for an easy snack and pick fruit canned in water instead of sugar
- Wash and cut fresh vegetables and keep them in a visible location for snacking
- Bake, broil, or grill poultry, meat, and fish, and avoid fried foods
- Keep frozen vegetables handy to add to soups, stir-fries, and casseroles (make sure to shop for frozen vegetables with no added sodium)
- Choose whole grain bread, cereals, and pasta when possible
- Replace sweetened drinks with flavored water with fresh fruits
- Choose low-fat yogurt, cheese, and milk
- Do not add salt when cooking. Use fresh herbs, spices, no salt seasonings, and citrus for flavoring
- Choose healthy fats when cooking and eating, like canola oil, olive oil, avocado oil, unsalted nuts, seeds, and nut butter
Hungry for more?
Not sure where to get started on eating a heart-healthy diet? We are here to help! Below is a sample heart-healthy recipe to try. You can make this recipe straight from your home.
Did you know? Eating oatmeal regularly can help to lower cholesterol and help with weight control.
Check out the recipe below and then fill out the form to receive five heart and kidney-friendly recipes!
Apple-Cinnamon Overnight Oats
Learn more info on the importance of heart health and all the risk factors.
Learn more about the Somatus Healthy Living Program.
Somatus is here to answer your questions anytime. Call us at (855) 851-8354