Somatus Patient Blog
Kidney-friendly Recipes to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with Somatus’ new Hispanic-inspired recipes!
October 4, 2022
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month by trying Somatus’ new Hispanic-inspired recipes! To honor the culture and experiences of our Hispanic communities, Somatus Dietitians have designed these recipes using kidney-friendly ingredients, spices, and cooking methods.
Don’t miss out on these tasty dishes. Your kidneys will thank you.
Did you try a recipe? Be sure to tag @SomatusKidneyCare on Facebook and @somatus_kidney-care on Instagram, so we can share what you made!
Ground Beef or Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef or lean ground chicken
- ½ head of lettuce, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- ¾ tsp of onion powder
- ¾ tsp of garlic powder
- Hard or soft corn tortillas
- Make the taco seasoning by mixing the chili powder, ground cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small bowl until well-blended.
- Brown ground beef or chicken and stir in taco seasoning (all or to taste).
- Fill a tortilla with 2 oz ground beef or chicken, 1 tbsp of tomatoes, 1 tbsp of onion, lettuce, and a small amount of sour cream.
Crockpot Shredded Mexican Chicken
- 2¼ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup of diced onions
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 2½ tsp of cumin
- 1½ tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of paprika
- Spray the bottom and sides of a crockpot with cooking oil.
- Place onions on the bottom of the crockpot then add chicken, lime juice, and all spices.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or until the chicken is done.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks.
|Dietary Fiber||0.6 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|