Healthy For The Holidays
Check the Boxes to a
Healthy Holiday Season
Planning ahead and preparing for the holidays is the best
way to stay healthy and avoid going to the hospital.
November 14, 2022
We’ve all been there. You forgot to refill one of your prescriptions and now the pharmacy is closed for Christmas Eve. You’re running late to your doctor’s appointment and the public transportation is running on a limited holiday schedule. Not this year! A little planning and preparation can reduce the potential of an unwanted trip to the hospital. That’s why we put together a checklist of ways to keep yourself healthy.
Whether you’re staying close to home this holiday season, traveling far away, or anywhere in between, we recommend using our holiday hospital prevention checklist (or making your own) so you can check off the boxes and make sure you’re covered.
- Make sure you always have at least a two-week supply of your medicines.
- Get your flu shot.
- Have glucose tablets on hand (if you’re diabetic).
- Don’t skip health appointments or dialysis treatments.
- Know your dialysis center’s holiday schedule and make sure you have enough dialysis supplies (if you’re on dialysis).
- Have a transportation plan for getting to and from appointments.
- Make sure you have enough to eat and drink at home.
- Check to see if any medical equipment in your home needs to be serviced before holiday closures.
- Make sure your CPAP/BiPAP machine has enough distilled water for the holidays (if applicable).
- Make an emergency contact list and keep it with you in your purse or wallet.
- Keep an updated list of your medical history, medicines, and dosages with you.
When it comes to helping you stay safe and healthy, we could go on and on, but this list is a good start!
If you are not feeling well and the situation is non-urgent, Somatus nurses are available 24/7 to help our members with non-emergency situations at (855) 851-8354, ext. 9. Not a Somatus member? Contact your doctor or health plan for support.