Somatus Patient Blog
Taking Care of YOU: Self-Care for Caregivers
Put yourself first, so you can better serve your loved one.
We’ve all heard those pre-flight safety messages, right? The ones when the flight attendant says, “put your oxygen mask on first before helping others.” Why? Because if you run out of oxygen yourself, you can’t help anyone else with theirs. In a nutshell: you can only help others if you first help yourself.
That’s especially true for caregivers!
For National Caregivers Day, we want to give a huge shout-out to the dedicated caregivers in our members’ lives and provide you with some tips and tricks for putting yourself first! Whether it’s shopping and paying the bills or managing medicines and driving to and from appointments, we know you’re out there, and we recognize your passion and commitment. So, let’s focus on YOU!
Caregiver burnout is real. Here are 10 steps you can take to avoid it.
If you have a special caregiver in your life, here are some ideas for how you can support them on National Caregivers Day (or any day for that matter):
- Help them with errands, chores, or other tasks.
- Schedule times to check in on them and offer emotional support.
- Make sure they are managing their own health care and needs (this is a big one that is often overlooked).
- Help them create a care plan for the person they care for, which will give them some structure and possibly alleviate unexpected expectations.
- Celebrate them on social media with hashtags like #NationalCaregiversDay and #CelebrateCaregivers.