Healthy For The Holidays
Dining Out with Confidence
Don’t let a kidney-friendly diet prevent you from enjoying a meal out!
December 2, 2022
“Can I eat out if I have kidney disease?”
Of course you can!
Dining out on a kidney-friendly diet can still be an enjoyable experience, and you don’t have to completely ditch your favorite cuisines. Reminder: a kidney-friendly diet is typically low in salt, potassium, and phosphorus. With a few modifications and help from the restaurant staff, you can treat yourself to a meal that satisfies both your taste buds and your health needs.
Whether you’re dining in or ordering takeout, here are some tips to consider when eating on a kidney-friendly diet:
Menu-stalk beforehand: Call the restaurant or look up their menu online ahead of time so you know what choices you have.
Pre-game with low-sodium food: Try to limit foods that are high in sodium on the day you eat out to compensate for your restaurant meal (which is usually higher in salt).
Take control where you can: Ask for sauces and dressings on the side so you control how much you use and prevent salt/fat saturation before you even have a chance to begin!
- If you are following fluid restriction instructions from your doctor, request a small glass and politely turn down refills for your beverage.
- Ask your server how your meal is prepared so you can make any special requests right from the start.
- Request that your vegetables are boiled to help limit your potassium intake.
- Find meals on the menu that are already flavored with herbs and spices and use pepper to add additional flavor.
- If you’ve been prescribed a phosphorus binder, remember to bring them with you.
See? Enjoying a yummy meal out while watching your kidney health isn’t so hard after all thanks to these simple tips.
*These materials do not provide medical advice. The information contained in these materials is for educational purposes and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you read in these materials. If you are a Somatus member, call (855) 851-8354 to speak to your health support team. If you are not a Somatus member, please speak with your healthcare provider.
Learn more about the healthy living program.
Somatus is here to answer your questions anytime. Call us (855) 851-8354